Everyone is invited to join the free community festivities on Sunday, June 22, from 1:00 to 4:00 pm as Pasadena Museum of History and the City of Pasadena present Happy Birthday Pasadena: Celebrating Our Milestones.
Mayor Bill Bogaard will be on hand to cut the cake, courtesy of Vons, marking Pasadena’s 128th year of incorporation. Pasadena is delighted to share its 2014 birthday celebration with more than 100 of the City’s businesses, institutions, and organizations – all of which are commemorating their own significant anniversaries this year.
Don’t be late! New this year: Free parking and shuttle buses will transport party-goers to and from the Rose Bowl, Lots F & K. The shuttles will run continuously between 12:00 and 4:30 pm.
The day’s schedule is as follows:
- 12:00 Noon – Shuttles begin from Rose Bowl ;PMH Exhibition Galleries and Museum Store open to the public for early viewing.
- 1:00 pm – Entertainment begins throughout the Museum grounds.
- 1:30 pm – Official Cake Cutting Ceremony, followed by continuous entertainment and activities until 4:00 pm.
- 4:30 pm – Last shuttles to Rose Bowl parking lots.
Following the cake cutting ceremony at 1:30 pm, guests will be treated to complimentary cake, once again courtesy of Vons. Further details about this year’s cake design are being kept tightly under wraps! However, as in years past, the 2014 version will reflect the themes highlighted at this year’s Happy Birthday Pasadena event.
In addition, Jones Coffee Roasters will be providing complimentary samples of iced coffee, the Lemonade Brigade will once again be selling their popular thirst-quenching beverages, and ice cream sandwiches will be available for purchase from C.K. Farnsworth’s Soda Fountain.
Non-stop entertainment and activities throughout the afternoon will offer party guests the chance to explore our community’s longtime institutions and organizations.
- The music starts at 1:00 pm with the Los Angeles Youth Guitar Orchestra from 30th anniversary celebrant Pasadena Conservatory of Music. This group of 13 young musicians will be making their final local appearance before heading to Stuttgart, Germany for rehearsals and performances with German musicians a as part of a cultural exchange program PCM introduced this year.
- Pasadena Pro Musica (Stephen Grimm, Artistic Director), the acclaimed choral group celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, will perform throughout the grounds following the cake cutting ceremony until 4:00 pm.
- Enjoy special, for-Happy-Birthday-Pasadena-Only presentations by Mount Wilson Observatory/Carnegie Observatories, the Shumei Arts Council, and the Pasadena Red Cross.
- Craft workshops presented by the Shumei Arts Council and Art 2 Go will keep younger party guests busy with origami designs and creating a mini Rose Parade Float! In addition, brush painting artist Nan Rae will offer instruction in this ancient art form to both children and adults.
- View the exhibition Crown City Jubilee, which features the Pasadena Unified School District (140 years), Pasadena Public Library (130), Pasadena Tournament of Roses® (125), Vroman’s Bookstore (120), Mount Wilson Observatory (110), American Red Cross San Gabriel Pomona Valley Chapter (100), The Langham Huntington, Pasadena (100), Rose Bowl Game® (100), Westridge School (100), Pasadena City College (90), and Pasadena Museum of History itself, which celebrates 90 years since its founding in 1924.
- Visit the Finnish Folk Art Museum’s Open House, hosted by the Finlandia Foundation, Los Angeles Chapter.
- Join the Treasure Hunt to enter a special drawing. One lucky winner will take home real treasure!
- Don’t forget to say hello to Dot the Clown and visit our Face Painting and Balloon Artist stations.
- Feeling lucky? Enter our raffle for spectacular baskets filled to the brim with desirable goods and services.
TICKETS: Admission and Parking/Shuttles at the Rose Bowl Lots F & K are Free. For additional information, please visit www.pasadenahistory.org or call 626.577.1660, ext. 10.